Friday, December 23, 2011

Advent Candle Verse for "Joy to the World"

Perhaps it was brazen to seek to improve on the timeless lyrics of Isaac Watts, but I've written a new verse to "Joy to the World" for our Christmas Eve service. My inspiration came from the structure of the service itself, in which we will be lighting the advent candles of Joy, Hope, Peace, Love, and Christ (mirroring my denomination's mission).

Joy, hope, and peace--and love a-flame,
For Christ came down to dwell!
Salvation in Nativity:
The Lord Emmanuel,
The Lord Emmanuel,
The Lord, the Lord, with us did dwell!

As to the tune, it was left alone: I know my limits, and Handel is light years beyond them.

Peace to all, and Merry Christmas!

UPDATE: Watts had the last laugh! The powerpoint froze as soon as my new fifth verse appeared, and the congregational singing fell apart. To give it another chance, I asked the pianist to play Joy to the World again as the closing hymn, and had our tech reset the slide show; but, thinking that the same problem would occur again, our worship liaison instructed the pianist not to play the extra verse. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment